If we told you to go ahead and scoop out a tablespoon of raw organic coconut oil from the jar and swish it around your mouth, you may call us crazy. But you can detox with coconut oil and enjoy the many benefits of oil pulling.
However, as crazy as it seems, this ancient Ayurvedic method of holistic healing is actually a highly powerful way to improve not only oral health, but also to detoxify the entire body.
Dr. Bruce Fife is a coconut oil expert and the author of Oil Pulling Therapy. He says, “oil pulling is one of the most remarkable methods of detoxification and healing I have ever experienced in my career as a naturopathic physician.”
This process removes bacteria, toxins and parasites from the mouth, and also loosens sinuses and congestion while encouraging the lymph system to move toxins out of the body.
Dr. Fife goes on to say, “it helped me overcome a chronic skin problem that other forms of detoxification, including numerous juice fasts lasting up to 30 days, were unable to cure.”
What’s so special about coconut oil?
Its scientific name is Cocos nucifera, meaning “nut-bearing.” Coconuts have a long and respected history throughout numerous cultures in the world, and many depend on them for their survival. Pacific islanders refer to coconut oil as a cure for all illnesses and many call it the “healthiest oil on earth.”
The coconut palm, which produces the coconut, is known as the “Tree of Life,” and although many people have been aware of this nut’s amazing nutritional quality, they may not know that it is a “functional food.”
Functional foods are those not only high in vitamins, minerals and fiber, but that also possess healing properties. Modern medicine and science are finally catching up with tradition and uncovering the real story behind the coconut and why everyone should use it. As a result of increasing research, many people are responding and starting to replace other oils in their home with coconut oil—this is good news – if your metabolism shows this is right for you.
Benefits of Oil Pulling
Modern naturopathic practitioners are joining with ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners in an understanding of just how powerful a detoxification and healing tool oil pulling really is.
Although coconut oil is not the only oil that can be used to oil pull (others include sesame, sunflower and olive), we love its long list of health-promoting properties, listed below:
- Antibacterial—stops bacteria that cause gum disease, throat infections, urinary tract infections and ulcers in their tracks.
- Anticarcinogenic—keeps dangerous cancer cells from spreading while boosting immunity.
- Antifungal—destroys infection-promoting fungus and yeast.
- Anti-inflammatory—suppresses inflammation and repairs tissue.
- Antimicrobial—inactivates harmful microbes and fights infection.
- Antioxidant—protects from free radical damage.
- Antiretroviral—destroys HIV and HTLV-1.
- Antiparasitic—rids the body of lice, tapeworms and other parasites.
- Anti-protozoa—kills protozoan infection in the gut.
- Antiviral—kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, AIDS, hepatitis and more.
Some positive side effects of oil pulling may include the following:
- Overall strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw
- Plaque prevention
- Prevention of halitosis
- Prevention of cavities and diseases such as gingivitis
- Prevention of lip, mouth and throat dryness
- Possible remedy for jaw soreness and TMJ
- Relief of migraine headache
- Hormone imbalance correction
- Inflammation reduction
- Support of normal kidney function
- Relief from sinus congestion
- Relief from eczema
- Improved vision
- Pain reduction
- Aids in detoxification
- Help with insomnia
How to Oil Pull
- Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
- Use one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil – you may want to start with ½ tablespoon and work your way up to a tablespoon.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth slowly and be sure that the oil reaches all parts of your mouth – do not swallow.
- Swish for ten minutes minimum. Try to work up to twenty minutes if you can.
- Spit out when you are done and rinse with pure water.
- Brush with a natural toothpaste afterwards.
Note: You may feel a bit ill during or after oil pulling – this is generally a good sign that your body is dumping toxins and should dissipate as you become healthier.
Get a Free Jar of Coconut Oil!
Before you run out to the store to grab a jar, make sure you’re getting only the good stuff. Specifically, you want to make sure coconut oil is organic, ethically sourced, and virgin—like Thrive Market’s. The online shop is offering all new members from Live to 110 a FREE jar of high-quality organic virgin coconut oil. Claim your FREE gift today before they’re gone!
We LOVE organic, ethically sourced, and virgin coconut oil! Not only is it tasty, ultra-moisturizing, and versatile, but it’s also free of any added chemicals. Lucky for us, Thrive Market is giving away jars of the stuff for FREE! Grab yours now and start living a healthier life with the help of coconut oil!