Near infrared lamp saunas are the BEST detoxification method I have ever encountered. These saunas have many health benefits, including cancer treatment and prevention, detoxification, killing infections, etc. If you have a lack of energy, brain fog or are suffering from a chronic disease or condition, I guarantee you that toxin accumulation is contributing to the problem.
I use a near infrared sauna to detox, but my main motivation for sweating it out daily in my home near infrared sauna is to kill cancer cells before they have a chance to turn into a tumor. My father died of cancer. Watching him die was a grim reality check into what is happening to most families around the world. One in three women gets cancer, while one in two men are afflicted with the disease. These statics are a call to action for you to begin thinking about cancer and disease prevention – NOW. Today.
Many don’t realize that everyone harbors mutated cells – cancer cells. Dr. William Pawluk has stated that we have 100 million cancer cells in our bodies at any given time! Whether it turns into a tumor or not is determined by your immune system’s ability to kill the cancerous cell before it multiplies and possibly becomes carcinogenic. In a healthy individual with a robust immune system, this process happens often and naturally.
It is only when your body is overwhelmed by heavy metals, hundreds of chemicals, chronic infections, fungus and parasites, exacerbated by nutritional deficiencies, which everyone has to vary degrees, that you reach a point where your immune system simply doesn’t have the energy or resources to kill these mutated cells any longer. When a mutated cell is allowed to grow unabated because the immune system is dealing with so many issues, you may very well be the one diagnosed with cancer when the tumor becomes visible on medical tests a few years down the road. This can be avoided.
Near infrared sauna therapy resolves all burdens to the immune system, directly and indirectly preventing and healing cancer as a result. Many viruses, bacteria, parasites and tumor cells have poor tolerance to heat compared to normal healthy cells and are easily killed with near infrared saunas. But let’s be honest. You don’t get something for anything. You must be dedicated to your health to prevent cancer and other health issues. It takes 1-3 years of daily sauna use to rid your body of the bulk of heavy metals, chemicals and chronic infections built up over your lifetime. And after this period of intense sauna therapy, one must continue to use a sauna twice a week to rid the body of new environmental onslaughts.
Near-infrared lamp saunas should be part of any cancer treatment protocol, as they can aid in tumor shrinkage. Allow me to make it clear that near infrared sauna therapy is not a stand-alone cancer therapy unless combined with other therapies. Tumors tolerate heat poorly. Raising body temperature hastens their death. Infrared saunas also rid the body of the toxic body burdens contributing to cancer formation in the first place. Bottom line: Near-infrared saunas kill cancer.
TYPES OF SAUNAS
So, I’ve been blabbing away about the astounding benefits of near infrared saunas, but let’s first explore the many types of saunas out there and their differences so you understand what you should be looking for in a sauna. There are four basic ways to heat up a sauna:
- Traditional saunas consist of a small room or space that is heated with a heater that sits in one corner. Electricity, gas, wood or other fuel powers the heater. It must be very hot to work properly = you can’t tolerate it very long. Traditional saunas only penetrate a few millimeters into the skin’s surface.
- Far infrared saunas use metallic, ceramic or black carbon elements for heating that mainly emit in the far infrared range. The electric heating elements surround the entire sauna. Unfortunately, all far infrared saunas emit electromagnetic fields that can be extremely harmful, especially to those who are sensitive to EMF’s. One would be wise to avoid all far infrared saunas for this reason. These rays penetrate about 1.5 inches (3.8cm).
- Near infrared emitter saunas. A few companies claim to offer near infrared saunas that use emitters. I would avoid these, as I believe they are very similar to the far infrared type of sauna.
- Near infrared lamp saunas use incandescent red ‘heat lamps’ for heating. Bingo! This is the type of sauna you want. The lamps are very inexpensive and found at most hardware stores. The bulbs emit mainly near infrared energy, with a bit of middle infrared. Typically, three bulbs are sufficient to heat a sauna. A single bulb can be used to focus healing energy on a specific body part, injury or infection. They also heat up your hamburger at McDonald’s.
While traditional saunas require high temperatures for profuse sweating, infrared rays penetrate the skin and heat from the inside as well as on the skin’s surface. This means the air temperature in the near infrared lamp sauna can remain much cooler, allowing you to stay in much longer, increasing benefits. This is vitally important for cancer patients or sick individuals who could not tolerate a regular sauna due to the intense heat.
A near infrared lamp sauna penetrates deepest due to the fact that the heat source is concentrated in a small area, and not due to the frequencies of the energy used. The rays penetrate roughly 3 inches (7.6 cm), allowing the air temperature to remain the coolest of all the types of saunas – but with the same effectiveness. While some people like the intense heat of the traditional sauna, many find it difficult to tolerate, especially those that are ill. I can’t hack it!
Benefits of Near Infrared Saunas
Near infrared sauna therapy is one of the least costly, safest and most powerful ways to eliminate toxic metals, industrial chemicals and chronic infections. The benefits are too numerous to list for the scope of this article, but these are the main ones:
Detox Heavy Metals
The main reason to use an infrared sauna is to detox heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic, aluminum, nickel and many others. These metals accumulate in our bodies causing any imaginable health condition, symptom, and disease, including cancer. These metals are present in our air, food, and water. Everyone has heavy metal toxicity, the only difference being the degree of toxicity.
Detox Industrial Chemicals
One hundred thousand chemicals have been unleashed into our environment in the form of dumping and use in manufacturing. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a person has 700 chemicals on average in their body, including rocket fuel and pesticides, with the most plentiful being phthalates, found in perfumed and colored personal care products. One can easily sweat these chemicals out of the body.
Control Yeasts, Mold and Fungi
These opportunistic infections are one of the most underdiagnosed and problematic, causing all kinds of vague symptoms. In small quantities, many types of yeast are harmless. Under the right conditions, some of them, such as Candida Albicans, overgrow and become pathogenic. They secrete extremely poisonous chemicals in our bodies such as alcohol and acetaldehyde, and can cause or contribute to a wide range of health conditions. These infections tolerate heat poorly, making saunas ideal to keep them under control. Many of these infections are caused and exacerbated by mercury and copper toxicity, problems that resolve with sauna use.
Parasites are found in the brain and other tissues of the body. Parasites are opportunistic infections that more easily harbor in bodies weakened by other chronic infections, heavy metal toxicity, and nutritional deficiencies. Most parasites have no tests for their detection. Even when a parasite is detected, they are very resistant to treatment. Many treatments don’t work very well – if there is a treatment.
Parasites can be incredibly frustrating because any parasites you kill have laid eggs, which hatch in a few weeks and the cycle begins again. Treatment must be consistent and ongoing. Parasites are very intolerant of heat. Consistent near infrared sauna therapy is an ideal parasite treatment because it kills the parasites, the recurring parasite hatchlings and detoxes all the infections weakening the host – you.
Radiation causes cancer. Radiation is a huge problem in the world today. We are exposed to radiation from bomb testing, Fukushima fallout and living in urban areas. One of the best ways to destroy cells that contain radiation is with an infrared sauna. These weaker cells can safely and easily be destroyed and prevent any cancers they may have eventually caused.
The skin is the largest eliminative organ of the body. Sauna use slowly restores elimination through the skin. In most people, it is inactive, congested and toxic. Excessive sun exposure, use of synthetic clothing, bathing in chlorinated tap water and exposure to hundreds of chemicals damage the skin. Excessive sympathetic nervous system activity (aka stress, fight or flight) causes blood to be withdrawn from the skin’s surface, contributing to inactivity of the skin.
Infrared saunas improve skin health in many ways. They shuttle blood to the skin’s surface, bringing oxygen and nutrients. DNA synthesis of fibroblasts, which affects the elasticity of skin, increased five-fold with infrared use. The result is younger-looking, more beautiful skin. Congestion, little bumps, roughness and other skin conditions clear with infrared sauna use. I’ve also noticed my skin becomes softer the more I use the sauna, especially my heels (aka my horse hooves).
Sweating in a sauna is a byproduct of applying heat to the body. The sweating process gently and safely helps eliminate all heavy metals and toxic chemicals. Medical studies demonstrate that most toxins can be eliminated through the skin, relieving some burden on the kidneys and liver. Sweating increases dramatically in most people after several months of daily sauna use.
Sweating during exercise is not effective for detoxification because exercise activates the sympathetic nervous system. Sympathetic nervous system (stress, fight or flight) activity inhibits toxin elimination. You must be in a parasympathetic state (calm, rest or sleep) to detox. You can either workout OR detox, not usually both at the same time.
Saunas provide many of the benefits of exercise with much less expenditure of energy. These include enhanced circulation and oxidation of the tissues. Saunas are most helpful for cardiovascular rehabilitation because they lower elevated blood pressure and improve the elasticity of the arteries – just like exercise.
Fever Therapy (hyperthermia) for Infections
Raising body temperature powerfully assists the body to kill bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses. Common sites of infections are the sinuses, ears, eyes, bladder, throat and intestines. Many people have a low body temperature and, for this reason, cannot get rid of chronic infections.
Why do many have a low body temperature? Because their thyroid, which controls body temperature, is not functioning properly due to heavy metal and chemical toxicity. Again, problem solved in the sauna. Additionally, Hashimoto’s, which causes most thyroid dysfunction, is simply an infection of the thyroid, which clears up with sauna use. As the thyroid is healed, body temperature will increase naturally. Learn more about healing the thyroid naturally.
Tumors and Mutated Cells
Hyperthermia helps kill all types of abnormal cells – cells that contain radioactive minerals, chemical toxins, toxic metals and other defective cells. Tumors, for example, tolerate heat poorly. Raising body temperature hastens their death. Though not a conventional method, hyperthermia is a well-researched therapy for cancer. Again, it is not a stand-alone cancer treatment.
Inhibiting the Sympathetic Nervous System
Most people in modern society spend most of their time with their sympathetic nervous system activated – stressed out in fight or flight mode. However, detoxification and digestion occur only when the parasympathetic nervous system is activated. This state is the opposite of stress – you are calm, relaxed, resting or sleeping in a parasympathetic state. An infrared sauna assists the body into a parasympathetic state, allowing detoxification to occur. This is a tremendous benefit not offered by many therapies. This is one reason why stress is a killer – when you’re always in a sympathetic state, your body cannot detox effectively and you accumulate more toxins than you normally would.
Infrared Saunas enhance white blood cell function, thereby increasing immune response and the elimination of foreign pathogens and cellular waste products. It also removes accumulated toxins by improving lymph circulation. Some researchers believe that infrared therapy can help stimulate the body’s immune system simply by elevating body temperature. A 30-minute infrared sauna session causes a temporary 3° increase in body temperature. This increase has been shown to stimulate white blood cells.
Oxygenating and Hydrating the Cells and Organs
Near infrared is an antioxidant nutrient, activates the cells, supports metabolic processes and decouples toxins from water molecules. The heat and other actions of the sauna greatly improve circulation, which brings nutrients to the cells and toxins to the eliminative organs.
Physicians from NASA and the Medical College of Wisconsin found that near infrared light significantly promotes faster cell regeneration, wound healing and human tissue growth. Human cell growth increased by 155%-171% in some cases and wound size decreased by 36%.
Penetrating heat from infrared saunas has long been proven to reduce pain in joints and muscles by reducing inflammation and increasing circulation to areas of discomfort. Infrared saunas have also been shown to significantly increase the range of flexibility.
Reduced Blood Pressure
German medical researchers concluded one session in an infrared sauna for over 1 hour can have significant reduction of blood pressure thanks to persistent peripheral vessel dilation. They also noted that blood viscosity was improved. Infrared saunas cause the release of nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels.
Benefits Only had with Near Infrared Saunas
Most people are only familiar with far infrared saunas, found at most spas and homes. One would be wise to consider the added benefits of a near-infrared bulb sauna. A near infrared sauna has many benefits over a far infrared sauna.
Near infrared lamp saunas are cheap to run and purchase. You simply buy a single bulb or create a complete home sauna with three bulbs for $250 or less. They simply use 250-watt red infrared bulbs you can buy at any hardware store or online. Far infrared saunas typically cost $1000, but are usually far more expensive, with some costing as much as $10,000.
All far infrared saunas emit EMFs or electromagnetic fields, which are damaging to health in many ways. For this reason, they are not recommended. You do not have this issue in a near infrared sauna.
If you’re not sure about your sauna’s EMF levels, you can always check EMF levels with an EMF sensor. There are a few smart phone apps claiming to detect EMFs, but it seems unlikely that software can turn them into devices that can detect general fluctuation and correct levels of EMFs.
Increased Detoxification Effects
Near infrared saunas shorten the chains of polluted water molecules. As this happens, toxins like carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide are expelled. Heavy metals such as mercury precipitate, easing their detoxification. This does not occur to the same degree in a far infrared sauna.
Deeper Tissue Penetration
The most notable benefit over far infrared saunas is that you enjoy deeper tissue penetration, and thus detoxification, with their use. They penetrate up to 3 inches (7.6cm) into the body, while a far infrared sauna only penetrates about 1.5 inches (3.8cm).
Enhanced Effect on DNA
The greater intensity of near infrared lamps and deeper penetration of their rays increase the death of mutated cells. Mutated cells can eventually turn into cancer. This assists in the regeneration of normal body tissue. This benefit is very important for those suffering from illness due to damaged DNA.
Another benefit is the ability to increase circulation more effectively than with a far infrared sauna. When the bulbs are only on one side of the sauna, you are able to rotate every few minutes (like a rotisserie chicken). This shunts blood from one side of the body to another, vigorously enhancing circulation.
The red bulbs used in a near infrared sauna emit red, orange and yellow light, which provides stimulating color therapy. These particular frequencies draw energy downward in the body (from your overworked brain) and assist the digestive and eliminative organs. They also nourish the adrenal glands, liver and kidneys according to traditional color therapies. Sauna researcher, Dr. C. S. Enwemeka wrote, “[Color therapy] includes the ability to accelerate inflammation, promote fibroblast proliferation, enhance chondroplasia, upregulates the synthesis of type I and type III procollagen mRNA, quicken bone repair and remodeling, foster revascularization of wounds and overall accelerate tissue repair in experimental and clinical models.”
You can even use a single near infrared bulb to heal an isolated injury, infection or health issue. They are wonderful for focusing infrared energy at an area of the body in need of healing, improving circulation and killing microorganisms. Conditions that benefit from the intense, focused light of a single bulb include rashes, joint pain, muscle strains, acne, boils, conditions of the sinuses and infections and many others.
Simply shine the bulb on the area in need of healing. Use the near infrared lamp for five to fifteen minutes, five to ten times per day. Allow the lamp to heat the area as much as is tolerable. Be sure to never shine the lamp for more than five minutes at a time at your head. Avoid using the lamp within 24 hours of an injury. Reddening of the skin is normal and indicates blood being drawn to the area – exactly what you want to speed healing.
Get your home outfitted with a near infrared sauna today! I went to a spa to do a far infrared sauna for a year before I finally committed to buying a near infrared lamp sauna for my home. I wish I had smartened up sooner! You have a few options:
- My favorite sauna is the SaunaSpace Complete Pocket Sauna. I love my SaunaSpace sauna. It’s incredibly high quality and is perfect for any home.
- Convert a traditional sauna or a far infrared sauna to a near infrared light sauna. Simply add three near infrared bulbs. You can find the 4-bulb near infrared unit that you can add to your far infrared sauna in the Myers Detox Store. Learn more about SaunaSpace here.
- If you cannot afford a sauna, you can use a single near infrared bulb in a lamp fixture every day on your abdomen and back.
Podcast on Near Infrared Saunas
Learn more by about near infrared saunas by listening to the Myers Detox Podcast Near Infrared Saunas Heal Disease with Micheal Goldstein and Infrared Saunas In Depth with Nutritional Balancing practitioner Nikki Moses. We talk all about the benefits of near infrared saunas, how they are integral to health and many tips on how to use an infrared sauna safely and effectively.
More Sauna Info
Near infrared saunas are the most impressive protocol I’ve ever seen for healing hundreds of health conditions and diseases. One would be foolish not to incorporate this simple inexpensive tool into their health arsenal. Cancer is a reality of modern life, with people afflicted at younger and younger ages. We are not a victim of our genetics, but merely victims of modern industrial life. You have the power to fight back with near infrared sauna lamp therapy. Stop cancer dead in its tracks.
Click here for References+
1. Casdorph, H.R. and Walker, M., Toxic Metal Syndrome, Avery Publishing Group, NY, 1995.
2. Dennis, C., Colorology, Rainbows Unlimited, Clearwater, FL, 1994.
3. Douglas, W.C., Into the Light, Second Opinion Publishing, Dunwoody, GA, 1993.
4. Flickstein, A., Infrared Thermal System for Whole-body Regenerative Radiant Therapy, Dascom Graphics, Santa Fe Springs, 1997.
5. Finnish Medical Society, Sauna and Your Health: Annals of Clinical Research, 16 technical articles distributed by the Sauna Society of America, 1988.
6. Johnson, T. and Miller, T., The Sauna Book, Harper and Row, New York, 1977.
7. Kukreja, R.C., ed., Heat Shock Proteins in Myocardial Protection, Landes Bioscience, 2000.
8. McVicker, M., Sauna Detoxification Therapy, McFarland & Co., Jefferson, NC, 1997.
9. Rogers, S.A., Tired or Toxic, Prestige Publishers, 1990. (Also Detoxify or Die, 2002)
10. Roy, R., The Sauna, Chelsea Green Publishing Company, White River Junction, VT, 1996.
11. Takada, K., Egawa, Y., Sasaki, H., Far Infrared Rays, Japan, 1999.
12. Verlag, S., Heat Shock, 1991.
13. Wilson, L., Sauna Therapy, L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc., 2003
14. Yamazaki, T., Science of Far Infrared Wave Therapies, Man and History Co., Tokyo, Japan, 1987.
1. Baibekov, I.M., et al., 1994, The effects of low intensity infrared laser radiation on healing of dermatological wounds, Bull Eksp Biol Med., 119(2)(Feb):218-24. http://drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm
2. Chlamydial Heat Shock Proteins in Severe Disease, Dec. 2002, MEW, www.chalmydiae.com/chlamydiae/docs/biology/hsp http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3006632/
3. Cohn, J.R. and E.A. Emmett, 1978, The excretion of trace metals in human sweat, Ann Clin and Lab Sci., 8(4):270-274. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/686643
4. Didierjean, L., D. Gruaz, Y. Frober, J.Grassi, J.M. Dayer, J.H. Saurat, 1990, Biologically active interleukin in human eccrine sweat: site dependent variations in alpha/beta ratios and stress induced increased excretion,Cytokine.,2(6)(Nov):438-46. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2104237
5. Enwemeka, C.S. Intricacies of dose in laser phototherapy for tissue repair and pain relief. Photomed Laser Surg. 2009 Jun;27(3):387-93. doi: 10.1089/pho.2009.2503. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19473073
6. Goncalves, E., 2001, The secret nuclear war, The Ecologist, 31(3)April:28-33. http://www.rense.com/general59/aerosolandelectromag.htm
7. “Heat Shock Proteins: New Avenue to Cancer Vaccines”, Cancer Research Institute, New York, 2002.
8. Jurasunas, S., 2000, A far-infrared ray emitting stone (SGES) to treat cancer and degenerative diseases, Townsend Letter for Doctors, 203(June):123-134. http://elixiawellness.com
9. Lovejoy, H.B., Z.G. Bell, T.R. Vizena, 1973, Mercury exposure evaluations and their correlation with urine mercury excretion: Elimination of mercury by sweating, J Occup Med.,15:590-591. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312275/
10. Marmor, J.B.,et al., 1980, Combined radiation and hyperthermia in superficial human tumors, Cancer, 46(9)(Nov 1):1986-91. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/44/10_Supplement/4731s.full.pdf
11. Martin, W., 2003, Coley’s toxins for sarcoma and intractable cancer, Townsend Letter for Doctors, #235-236, (Feb/March):140-144. http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar_2003/coleystoxins0203.htm
12. Niwa, Y., O. Lizawa, K. Ishimoto, X. Jiang, T, Kanoh, 1993, Electromagnetic wave emitting products and ‘Kikoh’ potentiate human leukocyte functions, Int J Biometeorol., 37(5)(Sept):133 8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8406976
13. Parpalei, I.A., L.G. Prokofeva and V.G. Obertas, 1991, The use of the sauna for disease prevention in the workers of enterprises with chemical and physical occupational hazards, Vrach Delo., 5(May):93-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1866932
14. Rea, W.J., Y. Pan, A.R. Johnson, 1991, Clearing of toxic volatile hydrocarbons from humans, Bol Asoc Med P R, 83(7)(July):321-4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1817511
15. Roehm, D.C., 1983, Effects of a program of sauna baths and metavitamins on adipose DDE and PCBs and on clearing of symptoms of agent orange (Dioxin) toxicity, Clin Research, 31(2):243. http://drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm
16. Root, D.E. and G.T. Lionelli, 1987, Excretion of a lipophilic toxicant through the sebaceous glands: A case report. J Toxicol., 6(1):13-17. http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/15569528709052160?journalCode=cot
17. Schnare, D.W., M. Ben and M.G. Shields, 1984, Body burden reductions of PCBs, PBBs and chlorinated pesticides in human subjects, Ambio 13(5-6):378-380. http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4313080?uid=3738824&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21103330950653
18. Schnare, D.W., G. Genk, M.G. Shields and S. Brunton, 1982, Evaluation of a detoxification regimen for fat stored xenobiotics, Med Hypoth., 9:265-82. http://www.detoxacademy.org/pdfs/fatxeno.pdf
19. Schnare, D.W. and P.C. Robinson, 1985, Reduction of hexachlorobenzene and ploychlorinated biphenyl human body burdens, Int. Agency for Research on Cancer, WHO, Scientific Publication Series, Vol. 77, Oxford University Press.
20. Sherson, D.L. and W. Stopford, 1986, Mercury levels in sweat. Its use in the diagnosis and treatment of poisoning, Ugeskr Laeger., 148(27)(June 30):1682-4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3750455
21. Tamura, Y., et al., 1997, Immunotherapy of tumors with autologous tumor-derived heat shock protein preparations, Science, 278:117-120. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9311915
22. Winterfield, H.G, H. Siewert, D. Strangefield, H. Warnke, J. Kruse, U. Engelmann, 1992, Potential use of the sauna in the long-term treatment of hypertensive cardiovascular circulation disorders – a comparison withkinesiotherapy, Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax., 81(35)(Aug 25):1016-20. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1410979
23. Zelentsova, S.P., 1968, Immunobiological reactivity of the organism under the effect of the interrupted infrared irradiation, Varach Delo., 12(Dec):88-91.