When it comes to meat, quality matters. But finding high quality healthy meat can be hard. At ButcherBox, their goal is to make 100% grass-fed beef more accessible than ever before. Let’s look at grass-fed vs grain-fed beef.
Why is grass-fed superior?
For a moment, think of grass-fed cows as four-legged lawn mowers. This means instead of being cooped up in small spaces eating all day, they are always on the move, grazing in green pastures.
Exercise leads to more muscle tone and leaner cattle. And the resulting beef? Well it’s chewier, contains less fat, is rich in heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, and the flavor is more varied than the typical grocery store cuts of beef that come from corn-raised cows.
Farmers first made the switch from grass to corn years ago because corn allows them to fatten up their cattle faster. But these animals are not healthy! And when we eat animals that are not healthy – we become unhealthy!
If you want to change the food industry, your body, and get healthy you have to make the commitment to stop eating factory farmed meat.
100% GRASS-FED VS. GRAIN-FED
- Consumer Reports study recommends you avoid conventionally raised grain-fed beef from feedlots and eat 100% grass-fed beef.
- Conventional grain-fed beef is twice as likely to contain dangerous bacteria resistant to antibiotics called superbugs.
- Conventional grain-fed cattle are packed into foul feedlots where disease can quickly spread. This is why they’re hooked up to a range of antibiotics. Compare this to the stress-free grassy pastures that grass-fed cows enjoy their entire lives.
- Never fed hormones or antibiotics.
- Less total fats, saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories
- More antioxidants including Vitamin A and Vitamin E.
- 2 – 5X the anti-inflammatory heart healthy Omega-3’s. This is because Omega-3’s are primarily found in the green leaves of plants.
- 2X the CLA’s (conjugated linoleic acid) which may encourage muscle growth, reduce heart disease, and lower cancer risks.
Yes, taste is largely subjective. But the general opinion among beef consumers is that grass-fed beef has more flavor and a cleaner taste than grain-fed beef. I can personally tell the difference and certainly prefer grass-fed beef!
The Today Show staff did a blind taste test of our steak vs. ordinary steak and said it was a ‘no contest’; ButcherBox was the hands-down winner. The Huffington Post also ran a taste test and found that all but one participant preferred the taste of 100% grass-fed beef over grain-fed beef.
What is Butcher Box?
In case you’re not yet familiar, ButcherBox curates a selection of the tastiest cuts of grass-fed and grass-finished beef, heritage breed pork, and organic/pastured chicken (always free of antibiotics and hormones) from trusted farmers and delivers 8-11 lbs. of meat to your front door every month. That’s enough for about 18-25 individual meals!
I started using Butcher Box and I was really surprised at the quality of the meat. I cooked one of the best and most tastiest steaks I’ve ever cooked! I was impressed!
You can also choose how often to have a box delivered. It is a subscription service, but of course, you can cancel anytime if you don’t want to continue getting it.
But Butcher Box is more than a monthly box of meat. You’ll also receive a selection of recipe cards, featuring simple and delicious recipes from their favorite food bloggers and chefs!
Take the stress out of eating healthy. With ButcherBox, all natural 100% grass-fed beef is delivered directly to your door from the best farms. Try it today!