Heavy metals are a major reason you’re experiencing brain fog. This toxicity kills your energy production (needed for brain function), affects neurotransmission (how you think) and your ability to focus. In this article I will examine how toxic metals impact your brain’s performance and what you can do about it!
What is Brain fog?
Brain fog is cognitive dysfunction involving:
- Lack of mental clarity
- Recall and memory difficulty
- Poor focus
- Poor concentration
Depending on the severity of brain fog, it can interfere with one’s ability to work or school. But there are many ways you can fix this problem that baffles doctors.
Causes of Brain Fog
Brain fog can have multiple causes, including:
- Heavy metal toxicity involving aluminium, lead, mercury, tin and others interfere in brain function in a number of ways listed below.
- Mitochondrial dysfunction – Mitochondria produce energy. The brain uses 20% of the body’s energy production. Low energy production equals low brain function.
- Chronic infections (e.g. Lyme disease, viral infections) sap energy and interfere in brain function in numerous ways.
- Medications, mostly commonly blood pressure medications and statins. My brilliant father suffered terribly from statin-related brain fog.
- Hormonal changes. Heavy metals and other toxins dramatically interfere in hormone production and reception. A drop in estrogen levels during menopause can cause forgetfulness, poor concentration, and cloudy thinking.
- Diet, including poor nutrition and food sensitivities. Brain fog may develop after eating certain foods to which you are sensitive.
Heavy Metals and Brain Function
Heavy metals cause brain fog and impair brain performance in several ways. Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress and microglial activation (think brain inflammation) all combine to impair the capacity of brain cells to maintain normal cognitive processing. These issues affect such things as short-term memory, concentration and decision making.
Heavy metals act via several different mechanisms in brain tissue:
1. Cellular destruction – tin kills off cerebellar neurons; mercury destroys cellular infrastructure (neurofibrils) within nerve cells and inhibits neurite formation.
2. Oxidative stress– heavy metals reduces cellular glutathione levels and generate lots of free radicals. Glutathione is the body’s master antioxidant as is essential in detoxing the body of heavy metals. Free radicals destroy brain tissue and damage DNA.
3. Mitochondrial dysfunction –The brain uses up to 20 percent of the body’s energy output. Our mitochondria produce our body’s energy. Naturally, if mitochondria are not working properly and energy production is low, brain performance will suffer. There are certain toxic metals that cause fatigue by interfering in mitochondrial energy production. Mitochondrial dysfunction from arsenic, aluminum, tin, thallium and cesium reduce energy (ATP) supply to neurons, astrocytes and other brain cells.
4. Microglial activation –The inflammatory response in the brain is mediated by activated microglia, the resident immune cells of the central nervous system. Activation of microglia is a hallmark of brain pathology. Aluminium especially causes microglial activation and resultant cognitive dysfunction and brain fog.
5. Interference with neurotransmission – many different metals reduce levels of neurotransmitters e.g. serotonin, dopamine and GABA.
6. Interference with hypothalamic function – especially the production of Antidiuretic Hormone (vasopressin) (mercury) and blockage of melatonin receptors causing chronic sleep disturbance.
7. Generation of both beta-amyloid and tau proteins in susceptible individuals, which leads to Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Toxic Metals That Impair Brain Function
1. Mercury is deposited throughout the brain, especially in the hypothalamus (thyroid signaling) and hippocampus (memory and emotions). It is also found throughout the cortex and occipital lobe. It impairs working memory and has been associated with the development of Alzheimer’s disease in older individuals and Autism Spectrum disorders in children.
2. Lead has been known for many years as a neurotoxin, especially in children. It lowers IQ and like mercury, impairs working memory. It interferes with the processes of learning and is also associated with behavioural disturbances in children. It is also associated with chronic fatigue, depression and cognitive impairment in adults.
3. Aluminum is also associated with both Autism and Alzheimer’s disease. Once aluminum enters brain cells, certain people will be unable to eliminate it efficiently, thereby inducing oxidative stress and cellular damage. In older individuals, such damage may be permanent.
4. Tin affects balance mechanisms in the cerebellum (and possibly inner ear) as well as causing tinnitus and general fatigue.
5. Manganese can build up to high level that then become neurotoxic, inducing a Parkinson’s disease-like syndrome (Manganism). Many become manganese toxic from their well water.
6. Copper toxicity and Wilson’s disease (due to copper overload) cause serious neurological dysfunction. Copper causes neurons to overfire and overproduce stimulating neurotransmitters.
7. Iron toxicity and Hemochromatosis (a genetic iron overload) cause serious neurological dysfunction.
How to Detox your Brain
Eliminating these offending metals, as well as providing proper nutritional support are essential for regaining one’s normal brain functioning.
Toxic metals cause mitochondrial dysfunction and are a major reason you’re experiencing exhaustion and lowered brain performance as a result. In fact, mitochondria may be the earliest target of metal neurotoxicity.
Therefore, one of the easiest paths to removing toxic metals that affect brain function is to remove metals that interfere in mitochondrial function.
That’s why I created a simple 3-step system to help remove metals that impair energy production. It’s called the Mitochondria Detox.
The Mitochondria Detox removes metals like aluminum, tin, thallium, cesium and arsenic, that impair energy production and brain performance.
The first product in my system is called Ageless AF. Ageless AF contains three powerful ingredients that synergistically work together to create this power heavy metal detox, anti-aging and beauty enhancing formula: orthosilicic acid (OSA) — the most bioavailable, highest absorbing form of silica, selenium, and garlic bulb extract. Ageless AF is relatively safe and effective for a range of trivalent metals including thallium, aluminium, arsenic, bismuth, tin and cesium levels.
After mobilizing these toxic metals from the body’s tissues, you need a binder to safely remove them from the body. For this purpose, I use my CitriCleanse grapefruit citrus pectin.
A binder like CitriCleanse must be taken when you do any kind of detox because it helps bind mobilized toxins and prevents them from recirculating and distributing in other places the body – a common issue when people are attempting to detox and not doing it properly.
CitriCleanse is one of the most effective and SAFE detox agents on the market. When taken as a dietary supplement, it works as a blood cleanser, binding to metals and chemicals in the blood as well as in the gut.
Citricleanse contains digestible grapefruit citrus pectin, along with fulvic humic acid and cilantro extract for optimal detox impact. The cilantro extract acts as a natural chelator to assist the body in mobilizing and removing heavy metals. The grapefruit pectin then binds to heavy metals and accelerates their removal. The fulvic humic acid floods your body with minerals, while also neutralizing the metals and aiding in overall detoxification.
You can get both of these products including instructions on how to use them for the most effective heavy metal detox at MitochondriaDetox.com. Together, Activated Silica, CitriCleanse and Mitotox are an effective three step system to help you detox the heavy metals that lead to brain fog. I recommend it all my clients suffering from heavy metal toxicity and to relieve the various symptoms, including brain fog, which they cause.
I hope this article helped to clarify why you may be experiencing brain fog. I assure you it’s not your age! The toxins in our environment, of which only a few that inhibit brain function are mentioned in this article, play a major role in our brain’s ability to process information and interfere with the large amounts of energy needed to keep our brain running.
But you CAN take back control of your brain and think clearly again. I dramatically improved my brain performance with the power of detox. And want to help you do the same!