Almost anyone, including your physician, says you should take Vitamin D. I say you need to know a little more in depth about vitamin D BEFORE you supplement. 90% of people taking a vitamin D supplement do not need it!
Yes, this is what ALL the controversy is about with Hormone-D… getting from one state to the next!
The molecule on the Left is Calcidiol, aka 25(OH)D or the “Storage” form of the Hormone.
The molecule on the Right is Calcitriol, aka 1,25(OH)2 D3 or the “Active” form of the Hormone.
And you can’t get from Left state to Right state without consuming Magnesium and Mg-ATP… And that’s a fact.
Well, if you do nothing else today, please take the 10-min to watch this interview with Kenny L. De Meirleir, MD, PhD, a pre-eminent physiologist, internist and ME/CFS researcher based in Brussels:
He is MOST clear in his position re Hormone-D:
- “Low 25(OH)D is just a ‘witness’ that you have too much 1,25(OH)2 D3…” (this is ~4:30 in the video…)
- He is critical of his professional colleagues for recommending so much “D”-pendence on this supplement…
- He indicates the ratio of 1,25(OH)2 D3 (“Active”) to 25(OH)D (“Storage”) SHOULD BE 1.5, “maybe” 2 times greater, but what he is now finding are patients with FOUR TO FIVE TIMES (4-5X) more “Active” Hormone, compared to their “Storage” Hormone. It sets the stage for severe mineral and metabolic imbalance.
I have LOOOOONG suspected and theorized that this was, in fact, exactly what was happening, and now have clinical proof from one of the foremost authorities on this very dynamic. And why is this so alarming? Because HIGH levels of “Active” Hormone-D are indications of excess, unregulated Calcium in the blood. (And what makes it “unregulated?” — Too little Magnesium, as you no doubt imagined!…)
So, what to do?…
Please look BEFORE you “D”cide to supplement!
Conduct the following four blood tests to have certainty of your need for additional supplemental “D” — not because you read a glitzy article, or that your neighbor stressed the need, or worse yet, that your not-fully-informed doctor “ordered” you to do so. That they are choosing to overlook the metabolic foundation of this issue is a bit unsettling, at best…
The tests that get to the metabolic truth are as follows:
- Magnesium RBC (Red Blood Cell): it’s the KEY catalyst for creating “Storage” and “Active” forms of this Hormone…Should be 5.0-7.0 mg/dL.
- 25(OH)D blood test: it’s the measure of the “Storage” form, the precursor to “Active” form of this Hormone…Should be 30-89 ng/dl.
- 1,25(OH)2 D3 blood test: it’s the measure of the “Active” form of this Hormone…Should be 22-45 pg/dl.
- “Ionized” Serum Calcium blood test (NOT a standard serum test!): given that Calcitriol’s JOB in the body is to put MORE Calcium into the blood stream, it only makes sense to know exactly how much you have there already, right?
If your Magnesium RBC is below 5 and 1, 25 (OH)2 D3 is blow 22, then and ONLY then do you need Vitamin D!
So, please, look BEFORE you take a “D”ive!
And if you need a refresher on why excess, unregulated Calcium is NOT your friend, please review this article that Carolyn Dean, MD, ND and I wrote in December, 2012:
I’m confident that this new information will be troubling to some, a bit confusing to others, but absolutely beneficial to all who take the time to read this, and act on it… I strongly encourage you to do so!
A votre sante!
The Medicinal Supplements Summit
Did you know that of the 54,000 dietary supplement products sold today, only a third have some level of safety and effectiveness that is supported by scientific evidence? Many supplements, even organic ones, are contaminated with toxic metals like lead, cadmium and arsenic. You could be taking supplements that are actually doing more harm than good!
That’s why I’m hosting the Medicinal Supplements Summit, taking place from September 12 – 19!
This amazing online summit is dedicated to educating consumers on healthy supplementation and the latest in supplement customization testing. Join me and over 35 like-minded health professionals – including doctors, supplement manufacturers, and best selling authors – who are dedicated to helping you HEAL.
Register for FREE now >>>> Click Here
Own all of the expert talks to watch at your own pace >>>> Click Here
My deepest hope is that you and your family experience vibrant health. And it all begins with taking the right supplements for YOU. So mark your calendars and join us for the Medicinal Supplements Summit September 12-19th! I’ll see you there!
Click here for References+
1. Reid IR, Bolland MJ, Grey A. Effects of Vitamin D supplements on Bone Mineral Density: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 11 Jan. 2014. Web. 22 Nov. 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24119980
2. Bolland MJ, A Avenell, JA Baron, et al. Effect of Calcium Supplements on Risk of Myocardial Infarction and Cardiovascular Events: Meta-analysis. National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 29 July 2010. Web. 22 Nov. 2014 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20671013
3. Ceglia L. “Vitamin D and Its Role in Skeletal Muscle.” Current opinion in clinical nutrition and metabolic care 12.6 (2009): 628–633. PMC. Web. 23 Nov. 2014.