Cadmium is a heavy metal that is incredibly toxic to the human body and ever-present in our environment. It targets many systems of the body and can cause a multitude of different symptoms. Cadmium toxicity almost always goes undetected by most traditional physicians.
Cadmium toxicity occurs when high levels of the element are accumulated in the body, whether it’s through the ingestion of food or drink, inhalation or direct exposure. Cadmium is involved in all of the major diseases of our time, including cancer, diabetes, arthritic syndromes, heart disease, kidney disease, depression, adrenal burnout, and others. The Environmental Protection Agency has classified Cadmium as a known carcinogen due to the dangerous effects it can have on human health (5).
You can identify the presence of this toxic mineral in your body with a hair mineral analysis and detox it with a Mineral Power program. I detoxed quite a bit of cadmium on this program and am very happy it’s out of my body!
Sources of Cadmium
Cadmium is an incredibly toxic metal and is ever-present in our environment primarily due to industrial dumping. Cadmium is a metal that also occurs naturally in the environment. It accumulates in the body through food and water, but also through the air we breathe and the environment in which we live.
Cadmium can be found in such things as (1, 6, 8, 9):
- Air pollution (from the incineration of rubber tires, plastic and paints)
- Artist’s paints
- Auto exhaust
- Batteries and corroded batteries in dumps
- Burning coal
- Cigarettes and cigarette smoke (tobacco and marijuana)
- Congenital intoxication
- Contaminated drinking water
- Copper alloys
- Dental alloys
- Dental materials like crowns
- Food grown on cadmium contaminated soil (sewage sludge, chemical fertilizers, and contaminated irrigation water)
- Galvanized pipes
- Hydrogenated oils
- Incineration of tires, rubbers, and plastics
- Instant coffee
- Iron roofs
- Large ocean fish – tuna, cod, haddock
- Metal coatings
- Motor oil
- Occupational exposure (through things such as the manufacturing of batteries, semiconductors, dental materials)
- Plated containers
- Processed and refined foods
- Refined grains, flours, cereals
- Rubber carpet backing
- Seafood (cod, haddock, oysters, tuna)
- Silver polish
- Soft water
- Solder (including in food cans)
- Tap water
- Vapor lamps
- Water (city, softened, well)
- Welding material
Mineral deficiency plays a role in contributing to cadmium toxicity. When one is nutritionally deficient in calcium, iron, protein, and/or zinc, cadmium is absorbed by the body to fill these “nutritional gaps.” (6) Cadmium replaces the deficient nutrients to keep the body running. Over time, as more and more cadmium is accumulated, toxicity symptoms will begin to present.
Toxic elements, like cadmium, replace nutrient minerals in enzyme binding sites. When this occurs, the metals inhibit, over-stimulate, or otherwise alter thousands of enzymes. An affected enzyme may operate at 5% of normal activity. This may contribute to many health conditions. Toxic metals may also simply deposit in many sites, causing local irritation and other toxic effects (7).
Toxic metals may also replace other substances in other tissue structures. The replacement weakens these tissues, such as the arteries, joints, bones, and muscles. Cadmium replaces zinc in vital enzyme binding sites. When there is a deficiency of zinc, the body is forced to use cadmium for repair. This can include the arteries, skin and other areas of the body where zinc is used for repair.
As you can see, the symptoms of cadmium toxicity are in direct correlation to a lack of the healthy minerals they replace (iron, calcium, and zinc). This is why mineral balancing is so important!
Symptoms of Cadmium Toxicity
Cadmium poisoning has a vast variety of symptoms. It can affect a multitude of systems in the human body. Toxicity of this element is known to show its presence in the Nervous, Cardiovascular, Digestive, Endocrine, Respiratory, Excretory, and both the male and female Reproductive Systems. (1) It even affects our energy levels and the chemical makeup of our brain.
Cadmium is a powerful stimulant to the adrenal glands. It irritates and boosts adrenal activity, although it does this in the unhealthy way that stimulants do, not a healthful manner. In fact, many need their cigarettes and coffee, and even marijuana, to give them their daily boost to their adrenal glands. Cadmium is one of many stimulants in these substances.
Dr. Lawrence Wilson believes that Cadmium hardens and toughens the tissues, and ages the body. He says that it is associated with hardening of the arteries, hardening and destruction of the kidneys, and of all the organs, in fact. This hardening can actually feel good, as though one is getting stronger and tougher, which is true, but it does so in a manner that actually weakens the entire body and opens it up to more cancers, and particularly heart disease. (7)
Some of the symptoms associated with cadmium toxicity include (1, 5, 6, 7):
- Abdominal pain
- Ages the skin
- Arthritis (osteo and rheumatoid)
- Bone disease
- Bone pain in middle of bone(s)
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cavities and tooth deformities
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Digestive distrubances
- Enlarged heart
- Flu-like symptoms such as chills, muscle weakness, and aches (again, when breathing in cadmium polluted air)
- Fragile bones
- Growth impairment
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Hyperkinetic behavior
- Impaired bone healing
- Joint pain
- Kidney disease (cadmium is very toxic to the kidneys)
- Learning disorders
- Liver damage
- Lung disease
- Low energy
- Low sperm count
- Lung disease
- Memory loss/brain fog
- Muscle weakness
- Nerve cell damage
- Prostate dysfunction
- Reduced fertility/reproductive disorders
- Shortness of breath
- Smoker’s cough
- Swelling of the nose, pharynx, and larynx (when chronically inhaling cadmium)
Health Conditions Caused by Cadmium
- Cancer: Cadmium is a very toxic metal and usually associated with the development of cancers.
- Nervous System: Cadmium inhibits release of acetylcholine and activates cholinesterase. This results in a tendency for hyperactivity of the nervous system. Cadmium also directly damages nerve cells.
- Energy: Cadmium causes strong inhibition of essential enzymes in the Krebs energy cycle.
- Bones and Joints: Cadmium alters calcium and phosphorus metabolism, thus contributing to arthritis, osteoporosis and neuromuscular diseases. The findings of one study, conducted by the Division of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Toxicology, at the Medical University of Silesia, showed that cadmium has both a direct and indirect toxic effect on bones (3).
- Cardiovascular System: Cadmium replaces zinc in the arteries, contributing to brittle, inflexible arteries.
- Digestive System: Cadmium interferes with production of digestive enzymes that require zinc.
- Reproductive System: In men, low sperm counts, prostate problems and impotence can result from cadmium-induced zinc deficiency. In women, cadmium can cause reduced fertility.
- Endocrine System: Zinc is required for growth and insulin release. Cadmium can contribute to failure to thrive, delayed growth development, and diabetes.
- Excretory System: Cadmium accumulates in the kidneys, resulting in high blood pressure and kidney disease.
- Dental: Alterations in calcium and vitamin D activity, caused by cadmium toxicity, can result in cavities and tooth deformities.
- Psychological: Cadmium toxicity is associated with learning disorders and hyperactivity. This may be due to zinc deficiency, or to inhibition of acetylcholine release in the brain.
- Reproductive Health: Birth defects often are related to cadmium, when it replaces zinc and other metals in vital genetic functions and in the DNA and RNA of the body. This causes defective genetic expression, which is not the same as defective genes. (7)
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Adrenal fatigue
- Arthritis, osteo
- Arthritis, rheumatoid
- Birth defects
- Bone repair, inhibited
- Cancer, pancreatic and others
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Cirrhosis of the Liver
- Decreased fertility
- Elevated cholesterol
- Enlarged heart
- Failure to thrive syndrome
- Hyperlipidemia (high levels of fat in blood)
- Hyperactivity in children
- Lung damage
- Kidney damage
- Prostate function lowered
- Testosterone levels (change in)
- Reduced sex drive
- Vascular disease
How to Detox Cadmium
An antagonist is an element that can help to push or detox cadmium out of the body. The following are antagonists of cadmium (1, 7):
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
Detecting Cadmium on a Hair Mineral Analysis
When investigating a possible cadmium toxicity, we first perform a hair mineral analysis and then review the results to create a mineral power program best suited for your specific body chemistry. Cadmium is often not revealed on early hair tests. The metal is usually deeply buried and requires time on a Mineral Power program to uncover and dislodge from storage sites in the body (7).
Here are some notes regarding cadmium levels:
- The best way to determine your cadmium toxicity level is with a Metals Stool Test. Stool is the most reliable method for determining one’s cadmium toxicity level.
- Cadmium is commonly a poor eliminator on a hair mineral test. It rarely detoxed into the hair even when one is very cadmium toxic. When one is a poor eliminator of a toxic metals, this is due to adrenal exhaustion, sympathetic nervous system dominance (aka stress), a low sodium/potassium ratio, or impaired eliminative organs (i.e. congested liver). One’s energy level is low and the body cannot eliminate cadmium very well. A poor eliminator range for cadmium is between 0.002 to 0.005 mg%. A very poor eliminator is less than 0.002 mg%.
- An extremely low reading on a hair analysis is a reliable indicator that a person has more of the metal inside the body. What is occurring is the body cannot eliminate cadmium well, so it is building up inside the body. (7)
- Cadmium has an aldosterone-like action and can powerfully elevate the hair sodium level. When cadmium is eliminated rapidly, sodium levels often decline.
- When cadmium is eliminated from the body, the cadmium may rise on a hair mineral analysis. However, cadmium is also eliminated in the skin as well as through the other eliminative organs of the body. This will not be revealed on a hair mineral analysis.
Most people have cadmium in their body. However, one cannot use a hair analysis or any test such as a urine challenge test or blood test to dismiss or confirm cadmium toxicity. Cadmium can be locked away in the brain, bones, kidneys or elsewhere, and even giving a powerful chelating drug for a challenge test may not cause its dislodging or removal. It will eventually come out during the course of a Mineral Power program.
Complete removal of cadmium can take one to ten years, as cadmium is one of the most difficult metals to remove because it has such powerful adaptive and energy-providing qualities. It is a powerful “crutch” or support for the body, even if it is toxic. As such, it takes a while to remove this metal from the body.
Another reason is can take so long to remove is because cadmium is extremely toxic. If it were eliminated very quickly, a person would be in danger of dying due to the toxicity from the elimination process.
When cadmium is pushed out of the body, a person may feel tired, moody, emotional, and sometimes very uneasy and vulnerable for a few days. When a large cadmium elimination occurs, one may notice odd smells or tastes, a lot of fatigue and perhaps pain in the kidneys, bones or elsewhere. It usually passes quickly, however.
Another symptom of cadmium elimination that is a reddish, itchy, burning rash on the face only. It, too, is temporary and passes.
Detox Cadmium with Mineral Power!
Many of the health effects of cadmium toxicity can be reversed. Of course, it depends on how long you have had the health condition and how severe your symptoms. At the very least, many experience a vast reduction in their symptoms with detoxification of cadmium via mineral supplementation and use of an infrared sauna, all part of a Mineral Power program.
A Mineral Power program is one of the best programs to remove all heavy metals from the body. Mineral Power is utilizes over 20 different methods at once to remove cadmium and ALL toxic metals safely and deeply, while replenishing the minerals your body needs. Metals can often do the same jobs as minerals. So when we are mineral deficient, the human body is forced to accumulate metals to accomplish certain processes necessary to for us to survive. Mineral Power replenishes your minerals, helps you to restore balance to your body and gives it energy so that it can push cadmium and other metals out when it no longer needs them to function.
Many nutrients are given on a Mineral Power to aid the body’s removal of cadmium. Among these critical nutrients are zinc, calcium, selenium, manganese, and vitamins C and E. I also recommend use of a kidney formula such as Renamide by Endomet Laboratories to enhance cadmium removal.
Another excellent therapy used on a Mineral Power program to remove cadmium from the body is the use of a near infrared sauna. Read more about this inexpensive and safe therapy. The use of the sauna is vital on a Mineral Power program because cadmium, other heavy metals and hundreds of chemicals can be removed through the skin.
Your body must have certain nutrients available to carry toxins and heavy metals like cadmium out of the body. The most important for detoxing are vitamin C, glutathione, and R-lipoic acid. Without these nutrients, your detoxification efforts can result in toxins and heavy metals building up in your liver, intestines, and kidneys with no means of exit, causing illness, organ failure and even death. These supplements can be taken daily. Additionally, we need to supplement the major vitamins and minerals daily to assist in detoxification. See all the detox supplements you need in the Live to 110 Store.
If you’re really serious about detoxing all the metals and chemicals you encounter on a daily basis, I recommend this detox kit.
TOTAL BODY DETOX KIT – ZEOLITE, COLLOIDAL SILVER, GLUTATHIONE
You will get the ultimate in immune and detox support with Advanced Cellular Zeolite (ACZ), ACS 200® Advanced Cellular Silver and ACG Glutathione. All in easy to take spray! Learn more >
Presently, humanity is exposed to the highest levels of toxic metals in recorded history, up to several thousand times higher than even several hundred years ago due to industrialization. The danger of toxic metals in our environment is greatly aggravated due to low mineral content of our food supply, as well as the contamination of our food supply. If one does not consume preferred minerals in the diet, the body will pick up whatever toxic metals it can from the food, air, and water as substitutes to perform various functions in the body. A key principle to remember is that an abundance of essential minerals in the diet and via supplementation protects the body against toxic metals.
It’s time to restore balance to your body with Mineral Power!
A Mineral Power program is not about diagnosing or treating any particular disease. It utilizes a hair mineral analysis to design a customized diet, supplement, lifestyle and detox program to detox heavy metals, improve the entire body’s energy level, reduce stress, and improve the metabolic rate of the body. My program focuses on the wellness model of health care, which is a state of high resistance to all illness.
Click here to view references