Recipe: Watermelon Detox Smoothie
I have a really delicious – and easy to make – detox drink that I want to share with you. I call it my “Watermelon Detox Smoothie”!
Watermelon is mostly water, consisting of 92 % water and 8% nutrients. It has a high amount of citrulline, which creates a diuretic effect in the body (as in, makes us pee a lot). That makes it great for helping to remove toxins from the body!
Additionally, citrulline makes arginine which removes ammonia and other toxins from the body. This is why watermelon juice works so well in aiding detox.
But that’s not all.
Here are just some of the many reasons watermelon is great for aiding a detox (and why it is the main ingredient in my smoothie!):
- Watermelon is high in dietary fiber. Fiber is key to binding up heavy metals that have settled in the gut.
- Watermelon does an amazing job hydrating all of the organs in the body and is a whole body cleanser. Though it contains natural sugar, the sugar is easily processed through the body and exited with the help of the fiber content.
- Watermelon is high in potassium, which is great at cleansing the kidney and detoxing thallium.
- It contains glutathione, the body’s master antioxidant, which is good for liver cleansing.
And now for one more cool thing about watermelon…
Remember how I said that watermelon contains a high amount of citrulline, which makes arginine? Well, arginine increases nitric oxide which increases blood flow. It even increases libido. Give it to your mate and notice the difference! Believe me, it works! (for women pineapple has the same effect…)
Included in my detox smoothie are also a handful of other delicious, natural ingredients that are also GREAT for detoxing:
Lemon juice and lemon peels.
- Lemons increase bile flow, which is key to supporting the process of binding to metals, so that they may be flushed from the body.
- Lemon juice stimulates the liver to increase bile flow, which flushes toxins.
- Along with vitamin C, lemons are also a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- The vitamin C in lemons helps to neutralize free radicals linked to aging and most types of diseases.
- Lemon peel contains the potent phytonutrient tangeretin, which has been proven to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease. It helps to make more bile, too, because it’s very bitter.
- Manuka honey helps to kill all kinds of bacteria in the intestines. Many people have gut infections, candida, H. pylori and other infections that can be controlled with manuka honey.
- Improves immunity
- Helps with acid reflux, low stomach acid, and SIBO
- Due to its anti-bacterial properties, manuka honey helps treat any bacteria-related disorder
- Mint promotes the production of bile, which is the #1 basic thing you must do to help to bind heavy metals and detox them from your body
You can see why I love this drink and couldn’t wait to share it with you! The best part is that while it is easy to make and wonderful for detoxing, it is also super yummy!
I know I’ve spent a while singing the praises of these simple – but amazing – natural ingredients that I put into my watermelon detox smoothie. So let’s get right to the recipe so you can make (and enjoy) your own!
Recipe: My Watermelon Detox Smoothie
- 2 cups freshly cut watermelon
- 1/2 cup green rind of the watermelon (The rind of the watermelon is the part of the fruit that is highest in citrulline, which is why it’s added to this detox drink.)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 of the lemon peel
- 1 tsp manuka honey
Use blender/Ninja/NutriBullet to blend all together.
Garnish with fresh basil or mint (You can blend these into the smoothie too). I personally prefer mint, but the choice is yours!
Pro tip: If you want a more slushie smoothie, you can freeze the watermelon the day before.
Click Here for References+
1.”Lemon Juice Detox Drink.” The Renegade Pharmacist. Oct. 4, 2015. https://therenegadepharmacist.com/lemon-juice-detox-drink/
2. Carmona, Cayenne. “Lemon water is a great liver detoxifier” PhilStar Global. SAVOIR FAIRE (The Philippine Star). Oct. 30,2017.
Read more at https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/health-and-family/2017/10/30/1753973/lemon-water-great-liver-detoxifier#4b4TjgKg3sglmBH3.99https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/health-and-family/2017/10/30/1753973/lemon-water-great-liver-detoxifier#HsQbOhVx7Yq7A1Ti.99
3. Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DMN, CNS “10 Proven Manuka Honey Benefits & Uses.” Oct. 14, 2018. https://draxe.com/manuka-honey-benefits-uses/